Wednesday, November 25, 2009

“Me, Prince, or Machiavelli

A Prince should play an instrument,

but never be played like one.

He should fall in love

like a rock star jumping off a piano,

and stay in love until he can’t

jump off pianos any more.

And though his bed may have

the feel of a mushy banana, the mattress

should be as firm as his jaw.

“You’re good,” she said.

I answered, “How good?”

“As good as a guitar string plucked

just right.  Damn good.” 

“But not good enough,” I said, “to keep my wallet

in my back pocket.”

“Aha! Is that why no one gets close to you?”

Touché. 

She hopped out of bed like a cricket,

actually rubbed her left foot

against her right shin, and pointed at me,

“You’ve been here before; alive, living.”

“I see.” We’ve been at it too long, I figured,

staring at my legs, still tangled

in maroon sheets, every inch of this bed

displaying signs of what we could do in the dark. 

The wise man keeps his secrets

beneath his bed, not on top.

“You were a Prince,” she said at last.

“No, no, no, Sweetie, I just like his music.”

She stared at me as if I were a letter

from an unrecognized address.

“Give me a hug,” I ordered.

When she emitted a wide-mouthed,

head-tilted laugh, I added, “Okay, so

I’d rather be loved than feared.  Sue me.”

With that, she grabbed me like a cello

and began to play.

[Via http://estrangements.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment