Friday, February 12, 2010

Tolerance, or lack thereof

I find that as I have gotten older I have grown even less tolerant of the world around me.

Cynical? Bitter? Maybe… Most likely, actually – but, also:

Am I less tolerant because I recognise so much more of the world’s existence (and so many people’s crazy thought processes) or is it because the population is showcasing more of their crazy?

I don’t know which it is. I just know that at this very moment I find myself to be rather grumpy at the world around me and the idiocy that so many people within it keep spewing as though it were law – or even truth for that matter.

Someone suggested that it’s the internet’s fault. That we are merely exposed to more of the world’s stupidity at a more rapid rate. I think there is something to be said about that theory.

Think about it:

In my youth, if you were a stupid extremist fundamentalist nutjob of some sort, you kept it within your little group of other nutjobs. Now? Now you can be an extremist nutjob with a blog or write for Examiner.com or something like that.

You’re given the chance to have a louder voice with a more broad reach thereby going out and finding every other nutjob that’s just like you.  Normally they would have been in a remote shack, hoarding weaponry in rural Montana, but thanks to the internet they can reach out and befriend each other over at some message board and pool their collective crazy.

Maybe that’s it.   It has to be.

Maybe I’m not entirely bitter (entirely) but just exposed to the irrationalities of humanity on a greater scale thus making me have to be forced to deal with them all on a more regular basis.  One time I could just avoid them or divorce them, but now I’m forced to watch them one-up each other’s crazy in some kind of a twisted circle-jerk; whereas, instead of releasing themselves into the center of the room, they all get to near-peak and then exhale their word jizz all over the interwebs for the rest of us to have to step in.

Yeah – I believe I’ve found my answer. Now, where did I put the paper towels?

[Via http://mostlikelyoffensive.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment